Natalia's journey

In reality our entire family news will be shared through this blog as our baby grows and as we fight cancer.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Slowing down … again

Well, things can’t be going good all the time, especially in our scenario, right?
That’s what I tell myself to keep it cool and collected. I saw my transplant oncologist on Tuesday and the donor transplant idea came up again and the conversation left me worried. I thought we had a plan where I am getting a transplant in a few weeks and it turns out that it’s all subject to change. Basically, next week I am going for scans and as long as the mass is shrinking (and I am sure it will move at least a mm down) I will be getting one more round of IGeV (so 4 more days in the hospital!). How naïve of me to think I was done with chemos! This also means that the transplant itself is at least a month away from now. My BMT oncologist seriously believes I am a good candidate for donor transplant – he says patients who can’t achieve remission with chemos or take really long to get there (like myself) are really ought to go for allo. Some new study results suggest that a jump straight to allo may be better for the long term cure that dragging though each possible chemo and transplant first. Of course, results are better if patient has been in remission when going for the transplant. So I was somewhat disturbed by this new information. Then I was fixed on wanting to know how well I did this last round – turns out my insurance only pays for a PET scan once a month and I just had one 2 weeks ago. Then I talked to my lymphoma oncologist and he brought peace back to me. I have to let go any kind of forecasting and planning. I just need to think about now and today. Without saying it out loud I felt his determination to get me in remission one way or another and go for auto transplant (my own one). He says he is aware of the study but didn’t want to comment much about it and how I fit into it. He just said: “Let’s see how you do next week and we’ll go from there.” Sometimes, it feels like being an analyst at my work made me plan and analyze, and read into things too much. It’s hard to just live in today when you wonder about the consequences and outcomes. BUT, I AM TRYING.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just ment you in the mall this weekend and have read your blog you are so brave i would be a mess.I love your sense of family and yes i understand it is so hard to only think of today but remember we all could be gone at any moment and you are hear now
    nicoleglen@sbcglobal.net

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Natalia - Keep you great faith and determination. Just live today and focus on your beautiful family and all the people who love and admire you.

    You are my hero! All of my family joins me in sending our love to you.

    Cathryn

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okazivaetsia ti rodila za mesiats do nas--just realized. U nas devochka--kak to hochu peredai fotki , ia tut riadom s Alloi krivoi, gingoi-- no ne videmssia net vremeni, zetta toze gde to sdesi v VA.
    Valik

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have hodgkins that never reached remission and have just been told today that I need ESHAP. reading your blogg is so informative and helpful. Thanks and goodluck to you. David

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    natalia,
    You are a true warrior. It is hard not to look ahead at all of the potential outcomes. Just know that you are not a statistic - everyone is different and what may not work for others may very well work for you. I am glad that you have a good rapport with your MD oncologist. He sounds compassionate and supportive - a good mix.
    Thinking of you and sending some of my strength to you...

    Rebecca

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Natalia said…

    Thank you dear Cathryn, Rebecca and Nicole for the words of encouragement -- I need them the most now.

    David, I am glad my little blog is of use to you (it came as a surpise indeed). Here is a link to a hodgkins's message board/forum -- a source of great information and encouragement. I feel as I have found an extended family there who unconditionally supports me whenever I need it:
    http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1

    Wishing you all the best if your Hodge fight!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home